Prof. Gavin Turrell recognised for outstanding scientific contribution in the physical activity and public health field.
Professor Gavin Turrell, leader of IHA’s Health Inequalities theme, spent November 2017 in Brazil at the invitation of the Federal University of Santa Catarina to promote exchange between IHA and three Brazilian universities: University of San Paulo, University of Pernambuco and the Federal University of Santa Catarina.
Gavin gave a series of invited seminar presentations, workshops and conference colloquia as follows:
1. Designing healthy cities: contributions from the HABITAT Study. A seminar presented at the School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo.
2. An introduction to multilevel modelling. A workshop delivered to postgraduate students, postdoctoral research fellows, and academic staff in the School of Public Health, University of Sao Paulo.
3. Moderator and Discussant at a meeting of members of the Physical Activity Epidemiology Group, School of Arts, Sciences and Humanities, University of Sao Paulo.
4. Making future cities liveable for all (not just some): urban environments that promote health equity and healthy ageing. A seminar presented at the University of Pernambuco, Recife.
5. Liveable cities for healthy ageing. A colloquium presented at the Brazilian Congress on Physical Activity and Health, Florianopolis.
6. Challenges of built environment interventions to increase physical activity. A colloquium presented at the Brazilian Congress on Physical Activity and Health, Florianopolis.
At the Brazilian Congress of Physical Activity and Health, Gavin was also awarded Honorary Membership of the Brazilian Physical Activity Society and Health, in recognition of his outstanding scientific contribution to the development of the physical activity and public health field.